"Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself." ~ George Bernard Shaw

"To keep or not to keep?" That is not the question.

There was a time in my life when acquiring pretty things seemed like a fun thing to do.    I had been working incredibly hard for more than a decade and it was beginning to pay off.   I  had finally made partner at my firm.   It was a huge accomplishment... this was a time when women partners were somewhat of a rarity.   I was proud of myself for getting there.

With partnership came compensation and a very nice income.   It's ironic, when you start making that kind of money, it begins to lose its value.   I found that "things" I had coveted, when I was struggling (e.g., a Halcyon Days enamel box), were no longer out of my budget.  I'd see something that I liked, and wouldn't think twice about buying it. 

I'm paying for it now.  I've got more stuff that I don't need nor, for that matter, even want.  Some of these things are awfully nice: scarves, purses, etc.  I was trying to figure out what to do with them.  I kept holding onto these pretty things -- even though I rarely wear or use them.  I kept asking myself, To keep or not to keep?   The answer to that question was always,  Yes.  It's pretty... it's nice... keep it.

Recently, I had an "aha moment"...  I decided, that I was asking myself the wrong question.   Instead of Should I keep this?, I asked myself instead:  Why did I buy this?

If the answer to that question was: Because I could, then I knew it was time to let it go.

Halleluyah -- liberation!

But how and where should I sell these things?   Ebay and Craigslist just didn't feel right.   I decided consignment was a better option.   I was so excited when I discovered The Real Real.  It’s the premier Internet site for online luxury consignment that accepts and ships product worldwide.  It was incredibly easy.   A woman named Erika came to my house, packed up everything, that I wanted to consign and now my stuff is beautifully photographed, priced and presented for sale on an Internet site.  There is such a thrill of seeing someone buy my things.  Who knew? 

So, I'm off to go back into my closet again... By the time I get the house sold, I will definitely be less encumbered!

FYI:
The Age of Consignment
How to Make Money Selling on Consignment
5 Top Online Consignment Shops for Selling Your Clothes
The Best Resale Websites You Should Know About
Everything But the House
Replacements

Comments

Popular Posts